Friday, September 23, 2005

The leaning tower?

Yeah they have a leaning tower up here as well. Though it's location is not being very well looked after by the city planners.

The Scheve toren (leaning tower) was built in the early 1530s, but never finished, because it went lobsided very quickly.

I moved up to Leeuwarden this week. First impressions have been very good, nice town and nice people. I am going to continue being a tourist for the next few weeks before settling in. That way I get to know the sights and history fairly quickly. I think most people even in holland haven't a clue what it's like up here, and neither did I until this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should also check out the church of Oldeboorn. They seem to have a thing for leaning towers in Friesland.

Don Crowley said...

Hey thanks Hayo, I've found Oldeboorn which I see is now called Aldeboarn. I've also fount a dutch language link on wikipedia to Leeuwarden , both of which have good information about the places.