Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Map: Roads and cities

Ferries, roads and cities in the province of Friesland, the Netherlands

This map shows the main roads, cities and towns of Friesland. I can tell you nothing really about any of them. But that will change as I am planning on doing a write up and a visit about Leeuwarden, Sneek, Heereveen, Drachten, Dokkum, Franeker and Harlingen.

For the moment I only know this much.

  1. Leeuwarden is the provincial capital of Friesland.
  2. Friesland has one premier football team which is quite good called Heereveen and another team Cambuur Leeuwarden, which is mostly found in the first division, but sometimes makes an appearance in the premier league
  3. Ice speed skating is the national sport up here and they have a fabulous hall in Heereveen for speed skating. I myself wouldn't be caught dead on skates, I'm more one for 30 degrees Celsius. But I'll certainly try to get tickets for a speed skating event.
  4. I could be generalizing here, they like their brass bands in Friesland. Usually not my cup of tea, in the context of Friesland and a good excuse to celebrate, they seem to turn it into something special.

I didn't mention Lemmer even though it is on the map. I promise nothing, so I might do a write up of Lemmer yet. But really I know nothing about the place, except that I suspect that one or two Friesian skating legends may have come from there.

No comments: